* The rubber balloon was invented by Michael Faraday in 1824; it was inflated with hydrogen and used in his experiments with that element.  Rubber balloons were soon after sold for a penny a piece in parks and circuses in America. The more familiar latex balloons of today were first manufactured in London, 1847, by J. G. Ingram,  but mass production did not occur until the 1930s. According to the Reader's Digest, children and adults send up a billion balloons each year in celebration.
* Pioneer manufactures nearly one billion Qualatex latex balloons per year.
* For more than 80 years, Qualatex balloons have celebrated big events worldwide — from American political conventions to Korean television specials.
* The life of all balloons depends on their atmosphere and the care they are given by the recipient. ABC Balloon Decorating uses Qualatex (TM) latex balloons; it is the premium latex balloon in the industry. Latex balloons prefer a cool room and they don't like anything sharp including rough ceilings, pet claws, teeth, grass, sun, sand, wind, thorns, and powerful magnets!
* Qualatex latex balloons are made from 100% natural latex — not plastic. Latex balloons are biodegradable and decompose as fast as an oak leaf in your backyard!
* Latex balloons come from rubber trees. Latex is collected by cutting the tree’s bark, then catching the latex in a cup.
* Latex balloons are earth-friendly! Rubber trees grow in rain forests. Latex harvesting discourages deforestation because latex-producing trees are left intact. A tree can produce latex for up to 40 years! Latex harvesting does not hurt the tree! (I love this fact!)
A look at the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) records from 1973 to 1998 shows that the number of annual small child choking deaths caused by balloons reached a high of 17 in 1989, but by 1998, the number was 4.
WARNINGS: LATEX BALLOON WARNING - CHOKING HAZARD. Please Avoid Choking Accidents! Adult Supervision is required! Even one accidental death is unacceptable. The balloon industry emphatically agrees and every retailer, distributor, and manufacturer is committed to helping create widespread public awareness among consumers in an effort to eliminate these needless tragic events. ABC Balloon Decorating is not responsible or liable for any harm caused by balloons. Anyone can choke or suffocate on uninflated or broken balloons - and medical staff can’t help. PLEASE PROVIDE SUPERVISION WITH BALLOONS. Even animals can be harmed. PLEASE discard broken balloons and balloon pieces immediately.
MYLAR Balloons - Keep all mylar OR foil balloons and metallic ribbon away from ALL power lines.